Thursday, January 29, 2009

Actions of our belief

Lunar New Year can be such a contradicting period for us - the Christian Chinese.

There's so many superstitious beliefs that contradicts with the Christian belief. Usually, we go by the rule of thumb - as long as it does not stumble another to understand Christ.

One of the actions I've learnt along my Christian walk is to decline graciously. In the past, when colleagues around me ask me to join them to buy the "hongbao toto", I would scoff at their idea and give them the "i-am-proud-and-mighty" speech. OR, I would go into the extreme, not utter a single word about it and wait for them to collect the monies (which goes into the drain 100% of the time).
Last year, before I can reject it nicely, they have kindly included me into the purchase so that I won't feel left out. I thank them for their thoughtfulness but joke that we may not win cos God won't grant me such luck.

This year, I thank the (another) group for asking but decline nicely. They somehow were quick to detect the reason why I am not participating so they were respect it anyway. Perhaps they are the lot that are kinder and respectful on people who are slightly different.