Friday, November 02, 2012

Science - knowing or KNOWing

As I was waiting for the slight traffic jam to clear, I was stuck next to some ixora bushes. I was staring at the flowers when my random thoughts fired up.
*so many flowers blooming* *singapore is so fortunate to have all these plants surrounding the city* *how did the skinny bud pop into the petals*



then my papa's education on ixora came up. I remembered how without knowing the actual name of the flower in the bushes, I learnt many things from papa on this red flowers.
1) it's Non- poisonous flower
2) you can take the nector from sucking it from the root
3) you can make a chain of flowers from by sticking them into the holes between the petals

but it's risk from my papa cos he was plucking the ixora from streets. But it's was thrilling and fun for us. To first taste ixora's nector and second have a little custom made accessory from my papa.
We were 6 and 4.. When science at P3/P4 gave description on Frangi Pani and Ixora.. I've already some good knowledge of EXACTLY what the teacher was saying. At that time, of cos, I was too timid to share my experiences with the REAL thing.

my thoughts wandered through on how Science is being taught today. Everything via textbooks and assessment. That being said, I am guity too.
Hubby teaches science with a twist. Google, experimenting..
my guess is that he would probably added to my 3 items.
- Ixora comes in other colors besides red - they are orange and yellow.
- purpose of it (ixora)

When we moved to our (rented) landed place, we grew (edible) various fruit bearing plants and (my beloved) herbs.

My laksa leaves bloom like they were grelims in the pool. *POOF*
my spicy basil died.
I hardly harvest my sweet basil which is a waste.
My aloe vera is still puny.
My rosemary and chilli just dried up.. didn't die though
Our favourite pandan leaves flourished.

My helper harvested a few rounds of bittergourd.
Had tons of potato leaves (the more you harvest, the more they grow)
Mr papaya finally came up but we will need to say goodbye to it.
our passion fruit.. budding well and sweet.

And we adopted a big size dog.
there are (more) various types of lizards, roaches, bugs. Rats..

With all these around us, it's hard to ignore nature and gain some science insights.

.. I've said so much.. cos I miss how my papa taught us science when we were younger.